Credit by Examination
Students may challenge courses by taking examinations developed at SJSU. Credit shall be awarded to those who pass them successfully.
Regularly enrolled students may earn credit in courses in which the student appears to be qualified by training or experience.
Courses for which credit by special examination may be earned are determined by the appropriate department.
Course credit by examination will not be allowed in a course in which the student has received a failing grade or in which the student has unsuccessfully sought credit by examination.
Credit by Examination is not available to Graduate Students or to students enrolling in 100W courses.
Procedure (During Orientation and Registration Weeks)
- Enroll in the course during any available registration period.
- Consult with the instructor for preliminary approval.
- Forms for Credit by Examination are available in Student Services Center.
- Present this form to the instructor for reporting the exam results.
- Units earned through Credit-by-Examination are counted as part of the semester's total unit load.
- The examination must be administered by the last day of the drop period.
- If successful in challenging the course, you remain enrolled in the class but do not attend. Grade of "CR" will be reported to the Registrar at the end of the semester with the regular grade report of the class.
- If you fail the examination, you may elect to continue the course for a grade, or officially withdraw through the regular drop procedure before the deadline (or a "WU" will be recorded).
- Instructors must return the completed Credit-by-Examination form to the Student Services Center by the twentieth day of instruction indicating whether the student passed, failed, or did not take the examination.
- Requests for exceptions to these provisions and procedures shall be made by student petition. The Credit by Exam petition, obtained from Student Services Center, shall explain fully why the case is unusual and the nature of the inconvenience. The petition is then presented to the instructor of the course, major advisor, departmental chairperson and the appropriate College Dean for their approval and signatures. At that time the student should pick up the Credit by Examination petition.