How to Register for Open University Classes
Consult the “Class Schedule” for information (section #, 5 digit class code, day, time, location, faculty name and dates) of your intended courses for that term.
There is no Open University(OU) registration prior to the first day of instruction. Attend the first class meeting or email in advance to gain instructor approval to enroll by obtaining a permission number. Registration is subject to instructor approval and is open to students starting on the first day classes meet.
- First time or previous-term undergrad/post-bac OU students can register online within a certain time frame (refer to calendar for dates) by following instructions at http://my.sjsu.edu/students/student_tutorials/index.html
- First time students see Open University Registration - New Students
- Previous-term students see Open University Registration - Continuing Students
- Graduate students, students disqualified from Spring 2012 and other students who do not register online complete the Spring 2013 Open University Registration form and fax to 408.924.2077, or submit in person to window “R” in the Student Services Center at 9th and San Fernando, Downtown, San Jose. (Graduate students please refer to the notes below).
GRADUATE LEVEL REQUIREMENTS
Graduate - level courses require additional approval. Once a student has instructor permission and completed registration form, fax to 408.924.2477 or visit GAPE window “G” in the Student Services Center to obtain the necessary approval before submitting to the Registrar. Exclusions for enrollment in 200-level classes: (1) disqualified status and (2) those who were denied admission into a graduate program.
CREATE MYSJSU ACCOUNT
Follow the instructions at http://my.sjsu.edu/docs/sa/self_service_student/SG_SR_SS_OU_Registration_New_Students_9.0.pdf to create your MySJSU online account. This account will give a student access to register for classes, pay for courses and see student’s records.
If a student has an existing account but cannot remember the password, please contact CMSHelp@sjsu.edu. Provide at least two of the following items for verification:
- SJSU student ID
- Date of birth
- Mailing address
- Visit eCampus website at http://www.sjsu.edu/ecampus/courses for course information.
- Email instructor for permission. Documented email approval is accepted.
- Follow registration process to register.
Complete the Late Add Petition with instructor, department chair’s approval signatures and submit to CIES for Associate Dean’s approval. Forms with missing signatures won’t be accepted.
DROP A COURSE
Complete the drop process either by dropping online on mySJSU account or filing a Petition for Course Drop. Refer to the OU Calendar to identify which drop method, what signatures are required and whether an academic withdrawal penalty applies. Leaving a course without authorization will result in a WU (F) grade.
For more information see instructions on the Petition for Course Drop at http://www.sjsu.edu/aars/docs/Petition-Drop.pdf.